Because you can never know too many talented and dynamic women — there is…
Title: Macon County Conservation District – Something for Everyone!Speaker: Jenny Garver, Volunteer Coordinator for Macon County Conservation DistrictDo you love a quiet hike in the woods or listening to the sounds of birds singing? We’re blessed to have so many places in Macon County to enjoy these pleasures, and not just at Rock Springs. Join us as Jenny Garver shares highlights of the Macon County Conservation District’s 50-year history and describes all that is offered in their 3,300 acres. Also find out how you can help preserve and protect these wild places. Over 275 volunteers keeping the District in tip-top shape by assisting with various activities throughout the year. One may be calling your name, so don’t miss this opportunity to learn about the Conservation District’s amazing resources and opportunities in your own backyard!To find out more, visit http://maconcountyconservation.org/.
“I enjoy coming to the monthly meetings to see women I may not have seen for awhile and to meet new people. The programs seal the deal.”
“I appreciate the no-stress time to interact with interesting women, and the programs keep me up-to-date.”
“The meetings have been excellent because of the high quality and variety of speakers as well as the positive atmosphere in the meetings.”
In May 1982, inspired by Mary Scott Welch’s book Networking: The Great New Way for Women to Get Ahead, Charlotte Hanks, Chris Neeley, and Mickey Robertson invited a small group of women in Decatur, Illinois, to brainstorm about organizing a local networking group. In August 1982, DAWN filed Articles of Incorporation with the State of Illinois, and just two months later, twenty five charter members pooled their resources to fly Alina Novak (a networking pioneer mentioned in Mary Scott Welsh’s book) in from New York City. She spoke at an informational meeting with 200 women in attendance. Ms. Novak considered networking the “next stage in the women’s movement” and many responded. One year later, in October 1983, the organization had grown from 25 to 160. An article appeared about DAWN in the Decatur Herald and Review with the headline, “DAWN Shines.” More than 30 years later, DAWN continues to shine by following the vision of the charter members-providing networking opportunities for women in the Decatur area. DAWN is proud to have encouraged hundreds of women in their career and life journeys.
DAWN’s mission is to use networking for the development and promotion of women.
- to provide professional development and community awareness
- to promote communication and networking among women
- to encourage women to develop their leadership skills and talents
- to enrich the lives of members by sharing resources
- to support members in their professional and personal pursuits and goals
- to cultivate the spirit of fellowship among members and other community women
- to continually seek new members to expand our networks
Our Distinct Advantage
- diverse membership
- commitment to the further development of women in our community
- no service or volunteer hours required
- no organizational business conducted at monthly meetings
Monthly meetings are held the second Thursday of each month at The Decatur Club at 158 W Prairie Ave., Decatur, IL 62523. Guests are welcome to attend their first time for a discounted $10 meal price. If you need more time to decide, you may attend a meeting two more times at the member price of $18. A typical meeting includes networking, conversation, and a high-quality speaker. Members may display information to promote their business or offer items for sale. Our typical monthly meeting agenda:
- 5:30 p.m. – Registration, Networking, and Display Tables (cash bar available)
- 6:00 p.m. – Welcome and Introductions
- 6:15 p.m. – Dinner
- 6:45 p.m. – Program and Q&A
- 7:30 p.m. – Boasts and Toasts
- 7:45 p.m. – Closing
Click Here to Make Your Reservation
Our Future Speakers
Thursday, May 10, 2018 –Jenny Garver, Volunteer Coordinator for Macon County Conservation District
Topic: Macon County Conservation District – Something for Everyone!
Do you love a quiet hike in the woods or listening to the sounds of birds singing? We’re blessed to have so many places in Macon County to enjoy these pleasures, and not just at Rock Springs. Join us as Jenny Garver shares highlights of the Macon County Conservation District’s 50-year history and describes all that is offered in their 3,300 acres. Also find out how you can help preserve and protect these wild places. Over 275 volunteers keeping the District in tip-top shape by assisting with various activities throughout the year. One may be calling your name, so don’t miss this opportunity to learn about the Conservation District’s amazing resources and opportunities in your own backyard!
DAWN has always been comprised of women from many backgrounds, experiences and thoughts. Our members include women who
- live in Decatur and the surrounding area
- are at all life stages and at various levels of professional and career development
- work in a variety of organizations from corporations to non-profits
- own their own businesses
- are not currently employed or are retired
- are involved in the community
Benefits of DAWN Membership
- Attend each meeting – Get a chance to connect with and learn from other members. Networking/cocktail time begins at 5:30. There is also time during the dinner meeting to participate in discussion and gain insight from other members.
- Learn from our guest speakers whose topics focus on community awareness and professional and personal development.
- Submit announcements for our monthly newsletter – Include information and promotions for your business, recruit volunteers for community organizations, and let others know about community activities. Submit to firstname.lastname@example.org by the 20th of the month.
- Utilize the member display table at meetings – Bring your business cards, products, brochures, and other materials to spread the message about your business and/or services or community events.
- Share information about yourself through a short member spotlight that will be published in the newsletter.
- Visit DAWN’s Facebook page – Check in or connect with other members and area women, provide feedback about the meetings, or share something exciting.
- Serve on DAWN’s board or help increase membership by inviting guests to our meetings.
- Explore DAWN’s website including the Members Only portal and advertising opportunities available to members.
We’re so excited that you’re joining DAWN! Please complete the information below, hit Submit, then send the membership fee to the address noted at the bottom of the form. Once we receive your payment, your membership is active and you will be emailed login and password information so you can access the list of DAWN members.
Our Invitation to YOU
Not quite ready to join? We understand women must be selective about the use of time and their memberships in organizations outside of work and home. For that reason, we invite you to attend one of our monthly meetings at a first-time guest rate of $10.00. Experience DAWN, and then make your decision to become a member. Contact one of DAWN’s officers if you have any questions.
PresidentDarcy has been a member of DAWN since moving back to Decatur in 2004. She is the Office Manager at Decatur First Church of the Nazarene where she schedules and manages events and provides administrative support for several pastors. Darcy’s husband, Dave, is a web manager for ADM and together they have two active young children, Tessa and Drew.
Vice-President of ReservationsJessica has been a member of DAWN since 2016. She has been a Financial Advisor with Edward Jones for over 3 years. Jessica partners with her clients to achieve their financial goals, whether retirement, college savings, planning for the unexpected, or simply saving for a trip. She and her husband Clint live in the Mt. Zion area with their two sons, Connor and Evan. The boys are involved in Cub Scouts and sports.
Vice-President of MembershipTina is a new member to DAWN and excited to be a part of the 30+ year legacy. She is a Program Specialist for Girl Scouts of Central IL, organizing and facilitating programs for her region. She is also the Cookie Manager for her region and the Camp Director for GSCI’s day camp for the Decatur area. Tina has been a mentor for Big Brothers Big Sisters for over a decade and enjoys working with the community and youth on various projects.
Vice-President of ProgramsRachel has been a member of DAWN since October 2016. She is a Sales Consultant at Heart Technologies where she provides customized technology solutions in telephony, security, infrastructure, and networking. Rachel is also President Elect of the Decatur Metropolitan Rotary Club. On the weekends, you can often find her camping, canoeing, or sitting around a bonfire with her fiancé, Brian Lewis, and their dog, Lucy.
Heather has been a member of DAWN since spring of 2015. She is a Supervising Engineer for Ameren where she provides Project Controls support for large Natural Gas projects. Heather has worked as a Project Manager in several different industries including Petrochemical, Oil Refining, and Agricultural. She has a patent and is a PMI certified Project Management Professional.